You might hear people say that you’ll “always have debt”. I automatically bought into that notion myself, believing I had to borrow money for emergencies and to pay for big ticket items.
But after paying off over $147,000 in debt, I now know that you CAN break free of debt’s grip and live the life you love. You can pay with money you already have, and save a bundle in the process.
Will you help spread the word that Debt is Not ForeverTM? (Because more people need to know it!)
Imagine a life where your paycheck stays yours. Where you can live without the costly financial burden of debt. Where you can give freely and plan for the future.
Those things ARE possible! You can join in as we shout it from the rooftops by doing one or more of the following suggestions.
1. Share your why.
Take a photo of something that shows YOUR reason for getting out of debt. That could be a photo of something that represents freedom, your family, your future, the car you’re paying off so you can drive debt-free, or whatever resonates with you.
Then share it on Twitter, Pinterest, or Instagram using the hashtag #DebtIsNotForever. It’s your life, and your choice to become debt free. Sharing your why can inspire others on their own journeys.
2. Take a stand.
According to Psychology Today, the “act of writing down what you are going to do is a strong motivator”. I’ve definitely found that to be true in my own life, both when it comes to goals and to behavior change. (Like getting out of debt!)
When you put it in writing that you ARE the kind of person who lives a debt-free life, you’re going to be very motivated to live up to your words.
Make your proclamation public, and you’ve got even more incentive to become the person you want to be.
That’s why I’d love to see you take a stand as part of this Debt is Not Forever crusade.
Write down one of the phrases below on a post-it note, then take a photo of your note and share it on Twitter, Pinterest, or Instagram using the hashtag #DebtIsNotForever. (The photos I’ve received so far are shared in a collage below.)
- I am the kind of person who only spends money I already have.
- My family deserves a debt-free life.
- I no longer borrow money to pay for things. Instead, I rely on hard work and resourcefulness.
- I will be debt free by [date] or sooner. (Insert the date you’ve calculated, maybe using my debt snowball app.)
- I prepare for emergencies and save until I have the money for the things I want and need.
- I am/will be debt free because ____________. (fill in your reason)
- (Or create your own positive personal finance-related phrase)
3. Encourage others.
Spread the Debt is Not Forever message on your blog, because others need to hear it. What you write is up to you. It could be a post about why you’re getting out of debt, alternatives to debt, your own debt payoff story, debt reduction tips, or whatever you think would help others to know that it IS possible to live a debt free life.
Once your post is live, share it with me and I’ll include it here at the end of this #DebtIsNotForever post.
Get inspired: Proof that #DebtIsNotForever
Folks have been posting their #DebtIsNotForever images and posts to help spread the word that it absolutely IS possible to live a life without the chains of debt.
I’ve gathered the notes and photos into a collage so we can see all those powerful motivations in one place. They’re an inspiration to others who are getting out of debt!
Take a look at some of them for yourself :)
And a big thank you to all of the bloggers who helped spread the word! Check out their posts if you haven’t already. (Note that while some of them have similar titles, they’ve all got unique stories and perspectives.)
- Budgeting Tips | Living Simply to Save Money (Confessions of an Over-Worked Mom)
- Debt is Not Forever! (Color Me Frugal)
- Debt Free or Just Free of Bad Debt? (Peer Finance 101)
- Budget Helpers: Debt Is Not Forever (How to Get Organized at Home)
- Investing Can Help You Avoid Debt (Investing to Thrive)
- Yes, You Really Can Crush Your Student Debt (Hey Freelancer)
- How to Start Paying Off Debt Now (Super Saving Tips)
- How I Got Into Debt (Eyes on the Dollar)
- Debt is not forever! Is it? (DINKS Finance)
- Debt is NOT forever (Blonde and Balanced)
- 4 Fast Ways to Jumpstart Your Debt Payoff Process (Dream Beyond Debt)
- Debt is not forever: Nicole’s Story (Breaking Even)
- Debt is Done! (Lazy Man and Money)
- Up To You To Crush Your Debt And Set Yourself Free (Lowest Rates)
- Debt Is Not Forever: 6 Financial Advisors Share Tips for Dealing with Debt (XY Planning Network)
- Debt Is A Temporary Condition – How Long It Lasts is Up To You! (Enemy of Debt)
- Minimum Payments Won’t Get You Out of Debt (The Wallet Diet)
- Debt is Not Forever – Define Your Why (The Budget Mama)
- Debt Is Not Forever – 7 Tips to Stay on Track (Dishes and Dust Bunnies)
- 3 Steps to Tackling Your Student Loans (Your Richest Life Planning)
- Debt is Temporary, Putting Up with It is Forever (The Money Principle)
- Set Your Debt Free Date And Stick To It! (Money Beagle)
- Debt is Not Forever (Barry Myers)
- High Interest Debt Doesn’t Have to Be Forever (Planting Money Seeds)
- 5 ways to use credit cards without getting buried in debt (Free From Broke)
- Think You Can’t Pay Off $147,106 in Debt? Guess Again. (Afford Anything)
- Are We Resigned To Being In Debt? (Frugal Rules)
- The Most Important Reason to Get Debt Out of Your Life (Square Pennies)
- Debt Doesn’t Have to Be Forever – 6 Characteristics of Those Serious About Paying Off Debt (PT Money)
- Why I Can’t Wait to Get Out Of Debt (Dear Debt)
- Debt is not forever – Find your reason why (The College Investor)
- Debt is Not Forever (Debt Discipline)
- As Seen on TV! The “Debt is Not Forever” Solution! (Budgets Are Sexy)
- Debt is not forever (KNS Financial)
- Debt is NOT a life sentence & how I stay motivated (One Beautiful Home)
- WHY We Want to Be Debt Free (Family Balance Sheet)
- Debt is Not Forever-How to Live Debt Free (Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance)
- Debt is NOT Your Friend! (The Money Chat)
- Why I want to be Free of Debt Forever (MoneyWatch101)